Warrington Photographic Society
Rules & Bye-laws
1. The Society shall be known as Warrington Photographic Society.
Objects of the Society:
2. The objects of the Society shall be to associate its members for mutual assistance in Photographic matters, by communications and the reading of papers, with discussions thereon at the meetings, also by demonstrations of processes, out-door excursions, and by other methods conductive to the welfare and advancement of the society and the Photographic Art.
3.(a) The business of the Society shall be managed by a committee consisting of a President, up to two Vice Presidents, Treasurer, General Secretary, Syllabus Projectionist and at least two other members. The committee members shall retire annually but shall be eligible for re-election to any office at the Annual general Meeting.
(b) Nominations to the Committee shall be handled by the Secretary, who must receive the names of a proposer and seconder, together with a written acceptance by the nominee, seven days before the annual General Meeting.
(c) Nominees must be paid up or life members of the Society. The retiring President shall be invited to be one of the Vice Presidents for the ensuing year.
(d) All members of the committee shall be honorary, and five shall form a quorum.
(e) Should any of the committee posts fall vacant and not be filled within 28 days then at the next Ordinary Meeting of the Society, the Secretary (or in the absence of the Secretary, the President or Treasurer) shall give fourteen days notice of a Special General Meeting to fill the post, change these rules or (if required by law) wind up the Society.
(f) The committee is empowered to co-opt extra members as and when required, and to form sub-committees for the working of any scheme from time to time approved by the full Committee.
4. The following meetings shall be held by the Society:-
(a) Committee Meetings shall be held at times most convenient and shall be convened at four days notice by the Secretary.
(b) Ordinary Meetings of the members to be held on Tuesday evenings at 7.30pm or any other evening as shown in the syllabus.
(c) An Annual General Meeting to be held in April.
5. Special General Meetings shall be convened by the Secretary on receipt of a requisition signed by at least ten members of the Society.
The Secretary shall give all members at least seven days notice of such a Special General Meeting.
Resolutions passed by a majority of members at these meetings shall be considered as passed by the society.
6. Visitors may attend three meetings before deciding to join the Society.
New members will be admitted at any club evening by completing the membership form. The name and address of the new member shall be sent in writing on the membership form to the Secretary together with the first annual subscription. The subscription of new members joining after the 31st January shall be deemed to cover them for the ensuing year.
7. The Annual subscriptions shall be reviewed each year by the Committee and presented to the society at the Annual general Meeting for ratification. Current rates shall be printed in the winter syllabus. All subscriptions are payable in advance and are due on the 1st May each year.
Members in Arrears:
8. If the subscription of any member is not paid by the last day in December, the Committee have the discretion to strike any such member off the society's list of members.
Expulsion of Members:
9. The Committee shall have the power to expel any member of the Society on a motion voted for by three fourths of the members present, the voting on the motion by ballot.
Life members and Honorary Members
10. Life members and Honorary shall be elected at the discretion of the committee, but shall be confirmed at the following General Meeting.
11. The Committee for the time shall be the custodians of the property and effects of the Society, and shall be empowered to invest the funds there of in any way the majority may think fit for the general welfare of the Society.
All Property of the Society shall pass to the Lancashire and Cheshire Photographic Union in the event of the Society having to be wound up due to a lack of members or insolvency.
12. The Committee shall have the power to enact byelaws for the working of any scheme in connection with the Society, which may from time to time be approved. Such bye-laws shall have the full power of rules immediately after their enactment.
Alterations to Rules:
13. No alteration shall be made in these rules except at the Annual General Meeting or a Special General Meeting called for the purpose. Notice of such alterations shall be read out at the Ordinary meeting at least one week before the meeting at which the alterations be proposed.
14. The Rules of the Society shall be displayed in the Meeting Room.
Revised January 2006.